Richland Center, WI: Richland County Health Officer, Rose Kohout announced “we have been seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks and this has resulted in our Community Level moving up. The medium level does not indicate that we are experiencing a crisis, but it does indicate that the risk of infection is increasing in our area and provides guidance for lowering the risk for yourself and those around you, especially if someone has a high risk for severe disease. Staying up to date on your COVID-19 vaccines is the best thing you can do, no matter the community level”.
On Thursday, May 5th, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its COVID-19 Community Levels with new local data that puts Richland County in the Medium category. The Community Levels are a tool for monitoring COVID-19 and its impact on communities, and the recent uptick in cases in Richland County have resulted in an increase in the county’s level from low to medium. CDC COVID-19 Community Levels are based on the total number of new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people, number of new hospital admissions, and average percent of staffed inpatient beds in the past 7 days.
Recommendations for the Medium Community Level are as follows:
- If you are immunocompromised or at high risk for severe disease, talk to your health care provider about whether you should wear a mask in public.
- If you live with someone at high risk, or come in contact with people who are high risk, consider wearing a mask while indoors with them or using a home test before coming in contact with them.
- If you have symptoms or were exposed, be sure to get tested and stay home while you’re sick/waiting for results.
- Stay up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
At all Community Levels, people may choose to wear a mask based on personal preference or if informed by personal level of risk or risk to household members. In addition, people with symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should wear a mask. Healthcare systems, businesses and schools may implement additional prevention strategies regardless of Community Level.
For the most up-to-date COVID-19 information, follow Richland County Health & Human Services on Facebook or consult the following websites:
- Richland County: https://covid.co.richland.wi.us
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html